The Baroque concert behind us, we are now facing a further, beautiful challenge – Mozart’s Great Mass in C Minor. We have received much positive feedback for the Baroque concerts, people commenting in particular that it was good to hear the choir above the smaller than usual orchestra.
Here is the bulletin for Friday, 16 August.
Carlos asked that we work thoroughly on the first two movements of the Mass. He actually said “learn it by memory” – shall we try and rise to the challenge?
He also asked that we become acquainted with the story of the Mass and that we listen to a good recording. Other than the obvious Wikipedia, here is another interesting link:
And here is a link to the Sir John Eliot Gardiner YouTube rendition:
There are several other good ones in YouTube.
Dates for your diary:
- The annual social evening will be held on Wednesday, 2 October at Limani restaurant. It will be a three course dinner for $50. A BYO affair with corkage charge of $4.00. Unlike the Dee Why RSL Club venue, we are not restricted by numbers. So partners/significant others are welcome. In a couple of weeks I will pass an registration form.
- For various reasons, the vocal workshop set for 22 September has to be postponed.
- The pre-concert mid-week rehearsal will be held on Tuesday (not Wednesday), 26 November.
Three matters relating to the new risers:
1. The new risers have been met with approval. We feel safe and sturdy on them and that might make for better singing!
2. We have received a grant of $3,000 towards the cost of the risers from the Dee Why RSL Club. Excellent. Thanks again, Richard for dealing with the application.
3. The old risers have been stored in Roger’s garage. This arrangement has to be reviewed as the new ones take considerable more space. We will have to hire storage space, unless one of us has storage space available. If you do, and want to discuss the matter further, please talk to Richard or to me.
The Rose Garden:
At the next rehearsal Rose will bring plants for sale again. Rose kindly organises it all and contributes the sales income to the Choir. If you plan to buy plants, please bring plastic bag(s) and money.
It was good to have so many members back in rehearsals yesterday. Welcome back.
Richard conveyed Peggy Arnold’s gratitude for the support and sympathy messages she received from Choir member on the occasion of Paul Krier’s passing away.
I will be absent from the next two rehearsals. Roger will hold the fort!